Here are two sock sets I've dyed.
Success! Self-striping knitting is such a blast.
This is what the mill looks like with 100 grams of wool----462 yds. of this brand.
The mill rotates smoothly like a windmill---mesmerizing and addicting. It puts me in "the zone" and unfortunately only takes 30 minutes.
Each color of striping takes about five yards of warp (for lack of a better term)....the knitmath is fascinating and is best left to daylight hours.
Tying it off at intervals----still tangles threaten once the wool is wet. Courage!
Tying takes upwards of a few hours if you add more ties (which I am prone to do).
You have to learn to like each stage of the process or you'll be miserable.
Don't ask how I know. :)
I remember my weaving days.....when I dress the mill there are 20 yards in circumference....loosely chained, as above, it is only 2 yds, which makes it easy to store for future dyeing.
Hot dog, a very happy dyer here.
My autumn stripes. I'm not into tonal---I like my stripes fully saturated. Still, it is knitting up to be a lovely pair of socks.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.